Thursday, January 7, 2010

Ay Caramba.. que frio!

Mexico.. here we are :D

well, well, well.. it was a bit unconvenient to get out of NY.. getting up very early, delayed flight and my beloved Swiss Army Knife, that I forgot to take out of my carry on bag :( ..so I had to leave it behind :'(

then I got picked up in Austin by Liz´s sister Sarah and brought to her auntie, where I stayed for one night.. found a very helpful motorcycle garage that let me change oil and filter and the next day I made some shopping in the morning and continued to Laredo (was it spelled like this?) anyway.. it´s a boarder town in Texas, where I stayed another night.. got too drunk and stoned and passed out in my room :/ used the time to organize my stuff and pack my bags and panniers. All in all I´m very satisfied with the last 3 days.. getting from NY to Texas and getting my bike ready. Driving down to the boarder and organize stuff and today getting all the paperwork done and driving into Mexico :D

it´s kinda strange to write this blog in English, while I´m switching to Spanish here, but might help my multi-lingual-ability ;) ..forgot many words in Spanish, but it´s coming back pretty quickly :) I had to buy an insurance for Mexico (checked a few places and found an offer for 70USD for 3 weeks.. it´s pretty OK :) anyway don´t think of getting into an accident here.
the most dangerous thing you can do is driving at night.. so I just DON´T ;)
was very confusing to obtain all the papers.. drove over the boarder (bridge No.2) and then to the temporal import agency to pay 30 bucks for my bike and another 30 for me.. didn´t get rid of my US Paper, so I parked at bridge No.1 paid 25 cents to walk across and drop that paper. Now they know that I left ;) when I came back, there were some guards inspecting my bike an I wondered what they would say.. turned out that one of them is also biker and I got my first contacts (friends further down) and it made me feel really welcome in this country! :)
to mention.. haven´t been searched or checked at the checkpoint if I got all the papers :P hehe ;) so I appreciate not getting fucked here in Central America :)
well.. it´s hard not to be a star when you arrive on a packed bike like that, but it´s the beautiful thing of riding a bike.. you get a lot more credits for it than sitting in a car.. and it´s just fair, because I´m freezing my ass off at the moment for it´s 13ºC/-1ºC ..brrr.. :-/ why does it always happen, that I have to catch up with the summer ;)
So tomorrow I can either head out for Durango (where it´s supposed to be even colder and snowie) to drive after tomorrow through the mountains down to the coast.. or waiting it out here in the city and staying another 3 days --> in fact, I more like being on the beach ;)

OK.. my time is up here.. time to have a beer somewhere in a bar and freshen up my Spanish ;) hehe :) it´s so totally different here in Mexico.. I think, I really like it! :D
hear soon from me and be well out there!
que les vaya bien! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment