Friday, July 24, 2009

..discovering new land..

so.. here we are :)

for those who want to google-earth it: I started in Tok, passed through Chicken and stayed a night in Dawson City, then a long ride down to White Horse, where I slept last night and now I am in Watson Lake.. I hope, they have some pics in Google Earth.. I'll upload mine in a few days.

hmm.. that was really exciting so far! :)
a beautiful road (mostly dirt ;) through the Yukon.. plenty of space, fun to ride.. and a lot of beautiful scenery around. I'll have the pictures speak for that later ;)
the boardercrossing was very easy.. just a lady giving you a stamp. that's it :)
I arrived then in Dawson City, a very small and beautiful town (lot's of colored houses :) just very touristy.. there was a festival at the weekend, but I missed it.. never mind, there are others ;) ..I found myself a shack of an abandoned house, that was for sale and bunkered my things there. I would have spread out my mat and slept there, but crashed in a tent on the other side of the river (Yukon river rocks! ;) after we had a jam session at a bonfire over there.. actually, I wasn't even 24hrs in that place, but met a lot of people!! many of them stay around for the summer and the city is so small, that you ran into each other all the time! :) ..it's maybe 5 min walking from one end to the other ;) ..it was a short, but intense time and enjoyed people and place a lot!

the next day (just little bit hangover ;) I rode dawn to White Horse.. that's a longer distance, than my homecountry from east to west plus north to south ;) ..it really gives you an idea about space and distances! :) ..arrived quite late and the guy I supposed to meet didn't write back.. so I found myself another shack of another abandoned house, just 7 min from downtown ;) hehe :)
I just find it very, very, extremly very boring to spend money for a room to sleep.. rather meet people or find myself such a place (because pitching the tent every night sucks ;) ..lazy Markus ;) hehe :) ..and it's fun and adventurous (I learned that from my former room mates in Switzerland ;) ..when I got back to the place at night, it was pretty creepy and I decided to sleep outside.. but was about to play guitar in the city center, so I just picked the instrument and went back.. so playing, at a certain point, to guys showed up and I ended up sleeping at their place, in a hard tent out in the woods.. and a comfi matrass and a cozy blanket ;) what a good night! :)
we walked quite around a bit, before we got to that place.. so I have seen White Horse at night from the sacred, old native burial ground.. pretty awesome experience! :)

this morning ran into another Swiss ExPat, that settled down there.. there are plenty around! :) it's a decent spot to end up.. so why not ;) just 7 month of winter isn't what I'm looking for ;)
had a good ride to Watson Lake (it seems to be a junction only ;) and maybe I turn around and enter the coastal highway further south..
it's just beautiful to ride a bike and see all this lands here!! even if it's sometimes a bit more complicated, it's great to be on road like this! :D (I couldn't do that cycling anymore ;) it takes just forever to get somewhere ;) hehe :)

yes.. that's it in short version :) ..it's obviously pretty censored here, but as I can't share everything with everybody (at least not so informal through internet), I have to leave out some very cool experiences ;)
I anyway can't tell, how people would look at me, after they read all this.. but hey, it's me! :) if you like me, then you have to take me the way I am.. and for this trip: this is just the right thing! :)

okay.. have a good time and gonna hear from me in a few days I guess.. :)

miss you and have a good time!

No comments:

Post a Comment