Sunday, February 20, 2011

..climbing volcanos and dealing with technical issues..

okay.. In the meantime, I already got close to the boarder to Argentina and here is why:

so I made my way towards that volcano..landscape is quite pretty down here! :) there are plains with cows on it, trees, and lots of yellow, dry weed, that gives me the worst hay-fever since I can´t imagine ;) ..riding with 80km/h I get 10 times the ammount of stuff in my eyes and nose and they are tearing and running.. but anyway.. survived and when it got too bad, I still put my skydiving goggles on, they seal around. (and driving with open viser just has to be! ;)
got sidetracked in Temuco (wanted to drive around, but who does understand streetsigns? ;) I also made it there nicely and found a place to stay for 20 dollars a night, breakfast included (I think they had homemade bread and jam and was tasty food! :) ..in general, I eat really good lately! the trick is to go for a menu they have, that´s mostly cheap and is way healthier than a hot-dog or a burger ;)
so I got everything ready for the next day (big day! ;) and got a good sleep.. got up early and when I was on the way to the volcano, I got problems with the bike :( ..well.. since my fan-failure, this is the nastiest bug I´m fighting with, but I´ll handle it as usual..
so the problem is that bumps (shaking) makes the engine turn off :( restarts quickly, but then the RPM are displayed wrongly.. was pretty stressful to get out of there (well.. I decided to drive all the way in anyway and not let go of my plan to climb the volcano ;)
so this is very I stand.. had a stressful drive out of that national park yesterday, took then some things apart in the late afternoon and couldn´t find anything.. there must be a loose contact or a broken print or something creating a short-circuit for a milisecond.. no idea what it is and for it´s sporadically, it´s hard to say..
so a message to all emails of BMW-dealerships I got on this continent has been sent out and I´m ready for whatever it takes to get back to Bolivia.. fix the bike and sell it there.
This morning I decided to drive down to Osorno and a bit further to the Argentinian boarder. driving to Santiago to the dealership would have taken longer than taking the only paved pass down here. So my wondering about where to go and what rout to take has been ended.. I simply can´t drive any unpaved roads having the bike with this issue and I also feel that I got to the end of my trip..
yes.. that´s another thought I had lately.. soon, I´ll have ridden over 50´000km on that bike and it´s a good stretch.. if it´s not 24 month, I can live with that :) ..I´m not a hardcore-fullon-biker and for being a traveler in this world, was pretty amazing what I´ve done, even if it was just from almost the top to almost the bottom ;)
so tomorrow Argentina.. if bike does (and Route 40 paved down here ;) then going to El Bolson and then driving up to Mendoza, where I can switch to Santiago, if I need urgent repairs (bike failed about 12 times today on the way down here.. so it might just work a bit longer.. *touchingwood*
otherwise I can drive to Buenos Aires or organizing getting it transported to some place..
ahh.. well.. in the end, it will be anecdotes and even if I don´t ask for these experiences, it´s was makes you stronger and better in life ;)

..so there are some thoughts I had lately.. also the plans to stay for another month in NY with my friend have been cancled, because stuff happened also in her life and the universe changes and it seems in the end, that these special gifts of life, these jewels of experiences just come once in your life and better make use of them!! :D
so trying to make my way up, slowly and steadily and make some more holidays in Cochabamba and then simply see, where the wind takes me.. one option is that I get a job and have a date to be back home or then I don´t find a job right away (gives me time) and I check my money and end up finally in Brazil after all, to get my Portugiese better :) was planned, then cancled, no back on table, but not really thinking about it now :)

I´m also finally uploading all my pictures of Chile.. and then maybe later also naming them ;) but for I don´t have been too picky (end of my trip and opening new web-album), it will be a few comments to write :P

..before I forget.. my sunburn is getting better.. just right in time, then carrying a backpack with 5lt of fluid yesterday was not too pleasant ;) but crab-red is changing to something less scary and still no skin fallen off ;)

then my reward for the bike-issues: climbing up that volcano LLaiman.. well.. at lest I tried ;) because first I got into some canyon that didn´t have any exit.. I ended up in a place where constant winds break out stones of the wall (blowing sand away until rocks fall out of the wall). Every five minutes a chunk comes down that would know you out :P so I was careful and also left the place quickly, climbing back to where I came and cutting over somewhere, where there were little flags to mark the path ;)
it was still enough challenging to find a way and stay on track. went then up to the hill next to the volcano (was higher than all the mountains around --> the view from the volcano must be INCREDIBLE!!! :D but anyway.. would have taken more equipment and a helmet and some more experience that I have to climb the peak (this became clear to me when the parkrangers instructed me about reaching the top).
but I couldn´t complain about the view I had from this outpost.. then saw a group of people going down another way and decided to persuade them ;) to also go back on another way.. I felt like walking a long distance, but when I´ve seen the path on a map, it was so super small.. one of the shortest hikes you could make probably ;) and there would be some really good long day hikes with wonderful panoramic view! :)
well.. for having had my hiking day and having enough trouble with my bike, I didn´t spend too much time there. ..might have been worth to pass closer the volcano in Villarica, but in the morning I had fog and it was pretty cold until almost noon.. could change clothes, but then I´m too lazy for it and hope for a sudden change! ;)

..changing weather this season down here is also a reason for not going until Punta Arenas all the way down ;) I´m sure it´s super beautiful down there, but it´s not too accessible and stranding with my bike out in nowhere is not what I´m looking for ;) hehe ;)

so I would gladly change a mountain of Switzerland for a volcano (inactive one of course ;) hehe ;) because was really nice to hike it! it´s as it would be a snowy surface, but you have more grip, but it´s soft and makes the same noise walking on it (about as eating choco-pops ;) and depending on the steepness you chose, you walk on two or four legs :)
then you can run down the slope and even if there are just rocks laying around, they have different colors and are all lighter than normal rocks, because of all the air inside.
So I enjoyed the day!! hiking up to some high look-out point and then going down to where the forest starts and walking through the trees (own flora down here/around volcano) and no people to meet during the whole day! (as I love it!!!! :D just some small points moving in the very far distant.. much better than being with a guide and a group on the volcano in Villarica.. it´s more touristy as I heard, so I think I made the right pick! :)

okay.. pic-upload is done and I´m logging out after more than 2 hours internet :P ..well, had some things to do and will enjoy a easy night in my little room with TV and cable and private bath for just 25 USD :) ..everything is cheaper down here.. even beer just costs half the price as in Santiago..

No comments:

Post a Comment