Tuesday, March 16, 2010

..stranded on the island.. :)

hey there! :D

let me briefly update my blog, before I spent my first night on Utila island in Honduras..

it was good to leave Tikal.. I spent enough time there and felt need for a change. So I was driving to Rio Dulce, where I stayed a last night in Guatemala, talking to some people who have a yaught and getting some ideas about a future trip.. maybe 6 month with my own sailing boat in the Caribbean Sea.. haha :D let's see.. just seeds that were planted and I would have to learn all the sailing stuff before.. but why not.. might end up on my bucket list ;)

then I spent 6 hours to cross the boarder into Honduras.. burocracy as in Switzerland (I wouldn't have been sad to pay some corrupt extra dollars to get it done different.. but then I don't want to support corruption.. anyway it wasn't even possible)
first they asked me a lot of money to follow a truck to the 50km away town where I could get my papers.. I mean, I didn't need a babysitter to do so and it cost a lot of nerves to be "ripped off" that much.. then it was so much of paper warfare.. paying at the bank, standing in line, taking off my licence plate to make copies getting everything checked a hundert times.. then finally I paid about 1000 Lempiras for all of it, what is about 60USD.. would be bareable, but because my registration ends end of April I have to be out of the country or do the same stuff again :((( Well, I will renew my registration in Alaska online and see that I get the paper but apparently it's too late already to prolong my bike papers within the country.. so I would have to ship my bike over to the mainland, get out of the country with it and do the same stuff again (won't happen). So I just try to speed up my course here and then leaving the country without having done a lot more than my Divemaster.
hmm.. well have to say, that the problems came with the boarder crossing that I took, that only makes these papers there on Saturday and Sunday and me being there on Monday was very complicated..

but then in the end I could already use my papers.. got stopped by a police man and everything seems to be correct! :D ..when I told the guy that I want to get to La Ceiba this day he told me, I have to drive fast and when I was asking how fast you are allowed to go on these roads he just said: as fast as you want! :D haha :) I like that!! ..was a quite "speedy" ride to make it to La Ceibe before dawn but made it.. spend a rather chilly night in La Ceiba and got on the boat to Utila this morning. For once I got the perfect timing.. arrived with my bike 1.5 hours before the cargo boat leaves (just leaves today and Thursday). Payed 750 Lempiras (about 50USD) to get it over here and could pick it up at 2pm at the docks.. was really easy and even if the bike is a lot oversized for here, it gives me a good amount of credit! :D haha ;))) it's not that a new face arrived on the island, it's a new bike that arrived ;)

I like the place here.. it's really super small, but I think my Karma will bring me many wonderful moments and meeting really cool people!! there are a lot of black people here, speaking Caribbean English and I read that this island was even a pirate hideout in the 17th century :D

what more.. with my usual speed to set up things I have my own apartment here, already cold beer in the fridge and I'm sure I'll have hell of a good time here!! :D

so.. going to see some friends and tomorrow at 7am I'll be at the diveshop (already met a lot of people there :) and having some fun dives to refresh my level and after tomorrow hopefully start with my course! :D

you'll here from me! I'll be here for 5 weeks and therefore probably not writing as much as just being on the road..

Namaste and my best blessings to all of you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment