Thursday, October 29, 2009

..driven by the storm..

wellwell.. :) haha :D here we are :)

I'm sitting in a Library in Fort Stockton in Texas.. a very flat and boring state, but somehow I don't have time to be bored driving, because I'm freezing my ass off!! :P

so we left the grand parents of Liz and drove that very day to the Grand Canyon.. I've seen quite a few things, but this is remarkably impressive!! (there will be a picture album filled with stunning shots of the Grand Canyon :D
we camped out outside of the Grand Canyon Area in the National Forest, where you can camp legally for free.. this is a really good thing, these "public lands for many uses". Having a bike it was really easy to get back to the campsite (just us and plenty of wildlife ;) and to the market plaza to get breakfast and supplies in the morning. We stayed 3 nights.. having a nice trip in the GC and some good hikes :)
we've seen hundreds of Ravens, dozens of Elks and mule deers and even a Coyote!! :D was totally nice to have these days (we left just in time to not get snowed in :) especially, because Liz's Grandma told her mother, that we are riding a bike (and not a car as white-lied before) and during the next phone call it became clear, that there is no way to continue together (her Mom was close to hysterical :P and because I don't want to upset her, I totally suggested, that she takes a bus from Flagstaff (especially, because I have already a ticket to the Ukraine, will stay 3 weeks with them and like to take Liz to South America in peaceful agreement with their parents.. so better not mess it all up right away ;) haha :D
so I dropped Liz in Flagstaff and she is already in Austin with her sister, while I'm taking my dragon down to meet her again (should be happen tomorrow :)
I had a beautiful ride down a Canyon to Sedona.. the trees shine in fall colors and the mountains are just incredible!! (sure you find pics on google earth of the place.. it's a energetic place and known for it).
I met a guy camping out the night and he set up a nice camp fire.. we talked and had a good time! was good to just be by my own.. gives time to reflect on the past days/weeks..
he's name is T.J. and he pointed me out some energetic points, called vortex. I went to one of them and wanted to find another one, pretty much out in the woods.. but failed to find this one. continued west.. bailing out to Cottonwood and Prescott and then back to Camp Verde and down to Globe, where I stayed for the night.
it was a very, very windy day to ride.. was kinda glad, to be alone on the bike with lighter load. I tried to loose the storm, that was founding in my back, but didn't really manage to get to more stable climatic conditions. in Globe was a sand storm going on.. there were some nice mountains to drive through after Camp Verde and in the Tonto National Park.. then it drops down and flattens out a bit. I missed Liz a lot camping in Globe.. was somewhere out of town on a public PicNic and Camping area.. couldn't do anything but staying in my tent and read a book about motorcycle poets :) ..outside it was windy, sandy and pretty chilly.
the coming morning I started very early.. it's hard to get Liz out of bed ;) and just having me delaying, it's faster to move on.. Okay.. I also have to say, that laying alone in a sleepy isn't not nearly as nice as to wake up together and to cuddle and snuggle for a moment! :D haha :D
I drove from Globe to Safford and down to the Interstate 10 Junction.. entering New Mexico.. a kinda boring State.. don't know a lot about it, because just passed it in that very day.. but it's not the most scenic state and the weather was way too bad to truly enjoy the ride of the day :-/
I ended up in El Paso (Texas) after I almost stopped at Las Cruces.. but the sky was blue again down there, so I took the extra 50 miles, that led me in strong rain and winds :P
yes.. it was a very wet day and there was no other way than to spend 45bucks to stay in Motel 6 (what I'm doing here as well), because it's so cold and wet, that it would just be a pain to stay outside.. rather have a warm shower, watch TV (to see what stupid things are running on US TV channels ;) and sleep in a warm and cozy bed. ..I'll end up watching cartoons later.. it's the most sincere thing and the propaganda isn't as offending as on other channels..
yes.. I was pretty much running away from the storm, that is coming from North, but I'm kinda 1-2 days too late, so it's not that nice to ride in these conditions.. on the other hand.. being another 2 days late would make the trip impossible (would have to wait it out), so I don't want to complain.
this morning I was riding through snowy mountains.. there was no snow on the street luckily, but I'm wearing 2 pairs of socks, 5 layers on my legs and 6 layers on my top.. the heated handlebars just prevent freezing my hands on the grips :P ..but it's about to get better tomorrow.. so I assume, that the long ride tomorrow to Austin will be more convenient :) ..380 miles will it be. will start as early as the weather allows it and see where I end up.. if I can't do it, because too tired, I stay another night somewhere, but easy and steady going, it should be doable. here the speed limit is 80 miles/hour (so 85 mph is still OK ;) that brings me a little faster where I aim to go, but also colder because of more wind and the bike takes lot more gasoline, but it's affordable with the gas prices they have here..

I'm also looking for a place where I could leave my bike and I think, I have some good options.. let's see, what it will be in the end.
unfortunately my insurance will be running in vane for 2 months.. makes a 300 USD going down the drain.. I hope I get a better offer from a different company for my next insurances and I won't make policies more than 1 month.. because all so unpredictable ;)

I think, that's it for the moment.. it's pretty harsh to ride at the moment, but soon I'll head out for some other adventures. ..too bad it's winter in the Ukraine.. couldn't Liz's parents be diplomats in South Africa? ;) I will freeze my ass off for another 2 month (so much about following the summer), but then I will head definitively for warmer places!!! :D eventually cutting out Mexico (let's see the situation and weather in January).

wishing you all the best and have a great time!!! (as I do here ;) hehe :)

hugs and kisses!

No comments:

Post a Comment